Sunday 16 November 2014

My post NaNoWriMo 2014 revision plan

After 15 days of insanity writing my first ever NaNoWriMo draft, I have now come to terms with the fact that I will have to begin the actual hard work of revising and editing what I have just written *breaks down in corner of the room*

I have already forgotten the beginning of my book and am slightly scared of what I will find. Did I hallucinate and instead of writing sentences, I just wrote Once Upon a Time followed by jsdksjf kljkfjsdk jkfdjfksd. The End?

I know you are meant to sit on the first draft for a month or so, go off and do other things then read through it but I am leaving only a DAY before I read it through because:
a) I am impatient.
b) I need to know how bad/good it is.
c) I need to write more words because I still have the sickness.
d) I am enjoying this experience too much not to.

After finishing the draft yesterday morning, I came away from it feeling great and pretty positive with what the read-through would be like … but as the hours tick by, I am doubtful of my over-confidence. 

Fresh faced on Monday morning I plan to start, and this is my personal revision plan:
1) Read through the whole book and make a list of all the major things wrong with it and inconsistencies with the plot and characters.
2) Tackle everything on that (very long, I imagine) list.
3) Keep going through the book with a fine tooth comb until I am 100000000% satisfied.
4) Let my mum read it and tell me her honest opinion of it.
5) Tell Mum she is wrong and doesn't know what she is talking about when she tells me that there are things she would change.
6) Cry a bit after realising everything I have written is only fit for my computer's recycle bin and Mum was right.
7) Eat some chocolate and/or ice cream to make myself feel better from reading all the ludicrous characters and plot holes I have just written.
8) Go for a walk and tell myself I am a terrible writer.
9) Repeat steps 6, 7 and 8 at least ten times.
10) Start again.

I have only ever written one book in my life before this and I am happy with the way revisions turned out then so I will do the same for this one too. I know it’s a very basic plan but after looking at countless blogs and advice from a plethora of amazing writers, this is the way I enjoy and find most comfortable for me.  

(Of course the chocolate and/or ice cream means chocolate AND ice cream).

No comments:

Post a Comment