Wednesday 13 February 2019

The Dissection of Bryan Trout... Ooo cryptic


'Switching off'.
I shall endeavour to keep this short(ish) as, rather excitingly, I have a new short story out titled, The Dissection of Bryan Trout. Before I spill the beans on what it's about and the cover, I'll update you on how it all came to pass...

I did exactly as I said I would in my last post and actually took some time off. On 1st February I went to my Mum's and basically switched off for three and a half days, watching every episode of Luther in existence, and came back the following Monday. As I had time off work till Wednesday, I just chilled at home until suddenly, on Tuesday 5th February, something switched and I was ready to begin work again on my writing projects. I felt focused, refreshed and very excited as I knew exactly what to do. January in a way felt at times like I was only going backwards when in reality, I was always going forwards: I began editing (with gusto - don't you just love that word?!) the BIG project, I wrote from scratch two short stories I wanted to that I'm so pleased with, edited Bryan Trout whilst tackling a severe bout of anxiety and had a full time job which was intense at times to say the least. Not bad. I was back on track and ready to actually do things a little differently... of course well over a week has passed and that 'do things healthier' motto is all but a dream, but I'm better -at least I hope so- and know I can never do that to myself again. As per, I've slightly deviated from what I was saying, so getting back to Tuesday 5th, I ended up basically starting and, pretty much finishing, the cover for The Dissection of Bryan Trout (below).

The following day, for an hour before work, I read through Bryan Trout, highlighting parts I wanted to go over and/or change then after work for a couple of hours, working on those highlights whilst also cutting bits I'd tried to make work in the past but couldn't and read it through once more feeling very satisfied with what I had done. I also made the finishing touches to the cover. I think essentially, on that Tuesday, I realised that I was faffing too much and needed to just get on with it. I knew Bryan Trout was close to being done, so I did it and could see things clearer because I gave myself the time switch off and recover.. Over the following few days I basically concentrated only on that story with the goal of publishing today, which I've managed to do. It's lovely when you end up being able to do exactly what you'd planned to.

On a side note, I also cleared up a little boo boo in one of my other books. I realised that at the end of the blurb for Fancy That, I had written, From the author of Cara Ward's Weighting to Live series. Hopefully you will notice the mistake in a shorter time than I did (3 months to be exact)...

Also, I haven't been eating sugar, and have looked after myself a bit more and am wondering whether that has helped me see things more clearly too... on a side note, I am currently craving scones an inhuman amount. Send help.

Onto the blurb for The Dissection of Bryan Trout...


Who are you Bryan Trout? 

Bryan Trout is an exceptionally dull man, or so he thinks, with a rather unusual name.

A short story about self-discovery, change… and a goldfish called Brian.

From the author of Fancy That and the Weighting to Live series.


Ooooooooooo

Oh, and another thing, did I mention that IT'S COMPLETELY FREE TO DOWNLOAD FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS?!!?

Ooooooooooooo

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Visit the BOOKS tab to download your FREE copy today!

Right, that is quite enough for now. I'm off to look at pictures of scones... and you think I'm joking.

Until next time,
Cara x

No comments:

Post a Comment