Friday 8 May 2015

The week where I wrote to Amazon A LOT

Before anything, I just need to say HOW GOOD WAS EPISODE 8 OF POLDARK?!?! Lovely Americans, when Poldark hits your screens in the summer, you are in for an absolute treat!

This week, I have been writing something new ... I'm actually embellishing the truth within an inch of its life - technically it's not brand BRAND new but close enough. I talked about it briefly (here) but in a nutshell, a while ago, I wrote just under 4000 words (3,814 to be exact) in a couple of days of something new but stopped because I felt really ill. Instead of going back to it when I felt better, I moved onto editing the short stories that became CHANGES: A SHORT STORY COLLECTION and forgot about it. Last week, I remembered and on a whim, read a bit of it and felt there was something there - no idea what but something enough for me to not leave it alone and work on it again.

It's been an odd sort of week - frustrating in places but still, I've somehow managed to get a lot done. I will try to explain below:


DAY 1 - Monday 4th May 2015
Today I read through the new piece of writing I've just talked about and added about 800ish words to the draft. I realised very quickly it would be perfect as a short story but apart from that, there is nothing interesting to add about the day.


DAY 2 - Tuesday 5th May 2015
I have been in the middle of 2 concurrent dramas with Amazon KDP and spent quite a lot of the day contacting them to try and resolve both issues. In a nutshell, I wanted customers who had already downloaded WEIGHTING TO LIVE and CHANGES to get the updated versions with the new cover and one customer services representative said that was going to happen then today, I was told that it wasn't possible. This saga went on until they realised they had made a mistake but told me it still couldn't be done (sad face). The other issue was that any covers I upload to Amazon KDP came out to the side so part of the border disappears and it looks terrible. A week ago, they said they would look into it and contact me by the latest today ... but after asking them about it, they said they needed more time and couldn't tell me when.

Word count for the short story - 0
Word count through emails to Amazon KDP - 1,000,000


DAY 3 - Wednesday 6th May 2015
In the morning, I (prematurely) made a cover for the short story I've been working on then spent the rest of the day working on the story, giving it an ending then editing it.

I also uploaded new covers for WEIGHTING TO LIVE, CHANGES and SIXTEEN MONTHS in the vain hope that the border would be right this time (if you are curious, it wasn't right).


DAY 4 - Thursday 7th May 2015
I spent the day editing the short story. THE END.


DAY 5 - Friday 8th May 2015
I spent the morning editing and rewriting the blurb for WEIGHTING TO LIVE. I think it needed to sound a little more professional. It's not sterile now but a little more put together - I hope so anyway.

The rest of the morning and afternoon was spent editing the short story.  As it's only 5,000 words, I've read it through quite a bit now and I'm pretty surprised how fully-formed it is - enough to say that I think it will be finished by early next week, which is exciting.


I'm off now until Sunday as I am trying to be less obsessive about writing, although no one can kill my obsession with the font RAGE. Curious to know what I'm talking about? You'll find out in the next post. Ooo.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment