Tuesday 30 June 2015

My Half Year Resolutions Check Up

*Picture of clouds to represent a
deep, reflective blog post*
On the eve of the 1st July and exactly half way through the year, I thought it would be interesting to see how I am doing with the resolutions I wrote six months ago for 2015 (here).


MY ORIGINAL RESOLUTIONS WERE:
  1. Keep this blog updated even if my mother is the only one reading it (Hi Mum!).
  2. Work hard at whatever I am doing.
  3. Finish editing my NaNoWriMo 2014 novel then self-publish.
  4. After finishing the above novel, work again on the first novel I wrote over a year ago and self-publish it also.
  5. Learn everything there is to know about self-publishing

HOW I HAVE DONE?
  1. Keep this blog updated even if my mother is the only one reading it (Hi Mum!) Why, yes, I think I have! I have published 27 blog posts (not including this one) so far this year.
  2. Work hard at whatever I am doing. I have worked harder on my writing, this blog and all the random administration stuff that goes along with it than I have ever worked on anything in my life so I think that I can safely say YES, I have.
  3. Finish editing my NaNoWriMo 2014 novel then self-publish. YES! Buy it here and here.
  4. After finishing the above novel, work again on the first novel I wrote over a year ago and self-publish it also. I shall be working on it very soon (blog post all about that before I start.)
  5. Learn everything there is to know about self-publishing. I'm getting there...

ANYTHING YOU WEREN'T EXPECTING THAT YOU HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR?
I have written and self-published a small book of short stories called CHANGES: A SHORT STORY COLLECTION (buy here) focusing on characters from my first novel WEIGHTING TO LIVE and a follow-up novelette (the obsession for that word is still a thing) called SIXTEEN MONTHS (buy here).


WHAT I HAVE LEARNT SO FAR:
  1. Don't be in such a damn rush. For example, publishing my books - I definitely self-published all of them too quickly without really checking over and over them enough for errors. I need to remember when I think it's finished, I am only half way there (if that).
  2. That there is nothing like the feeling of hard work and loving what you are doing plus knowing that the work you are putting in is going towards what you really want to do.
  3. That I definitely want to be a writer.
  4. That what you put in, you get out.

ANYTHING TO ADD TO MY RESOLUTIONS?
  1. Don't panic and slow down. The quote 'Life's a marathon, not a sprint' sums it up perfectly. Rushing inevitably risks your work in the long run and I am finding by rushing, you waste time in the end, ironically. 
  2. Find balance. I am trying to get well again and working long hours each day isn't healthy. I am all or nothing and need to keep a steady pace and add a bit of structure to my life if I want to do this long term.

Well there you go! Goodbye to the first half of the year and HELLO to the next 'chapter' (ouch).

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment