Saturday 21 April 2018

Gone with the Wind took my breath away


No, your eyes do not deceive you, this is indeed a new blog post a mere week since my last. The reason being that I just had to write down my thoughts before I forgot exactly why Gone with the Wind is my favourite book of all time.

That's quite a big statement to make, I know, but in my mind, there is no contest. I read it over a few months and finished this morning. It took me so long as for the most part, I was only able to pick it up in those precious spare moments where I was able to dive head first into another world. Until the beginning of this week I had only read two thirds of the book, but after handing in my edits for the very secret, very exciting project, I was left with some rare spare time and decided to take that opportunity to discover exactly what Scarlett O'Hara did next... granted, I had already watched the film many times, which I adore, but to fill in the gaps that the film couldn’t possibly cover and to understand more about such complex and fascinating characters was an utter joy.

Going into it, even though I knew the film so well, I was (to be perfectly honest) a little anxious that I wouldn't understand a lot of what was going on as it centres on a piece of American history that I know very little about. I was daunted by the size too and worried that I'd find it boring, but it was anything but and turned out to be the most engaging story I have ever had the pleasure to follow. What surprised me the most was that one of the parts I loved reading about the most was the very subject matter which I was initially nervous to read; The Civil War and subsequent Reconstruction. Learning how various characters dealt with the fallout, with some trapped in a past that would never return, was both haunting and so beautifully written. The lives of so many, changed irrevocably with the life they once knew, gone forever. Usually, I get very tired with unnecessary detail but in Gone with the Wind, it's those elements which really make the book come to life. The depiction of Tara especially made me feel as if I was really there, among the fields of cotton and bright red soil, and it was unlike anything I’ve ever read before. Never dull, but necessary and vital.

Now onto the characters. Our 'heroine' Scarlett O'Hara does unspeakable, immoral things that don't bear thinking about and yet, I followed her journey voraciously and almost willed her to succeed against the odds - and let's not even get started on Rhett, with a past as black as his fine moustache. Hands down my favourite part of the book is the fiery, witty exchanges between the pair. The greatest love story between two people who are truly meant to be together. 

I think I will leave it there as to tell you anything else would be to spoil something you need to experience for yourself.

I haven't seen the film for quite a few years now and I am very excited to rewatch it tomorrow with new eyes. In the morning, as a kind of warm up, I cannot wait to get stuck in to this beauty: The Making of Gone with the Wind.

To buy the rather fabulous version of Gone with the Wind pictured above, click here and to buy The Making of Gone with the Wind, click here.

Until next time,
Cara x

No comments:

Post a Comment