Wednesday 2 May 2018

Playing Catch-Up


You know, I've really missed blogging so it makes me immensely happy to be able to write another post for you today. I don't really know who 'you' actually is as due to my hilarious lack of marketing, my little piece of the internet has remained a mere ghost - so really the you is indeed me. This is both my blog and personal writing journal and in the gaps where I haven't been able to update these neglected pages, I have felt at times like I've left a piece of me behind.

In my last post I mentioned that I had just handed in my edits for something very exciting and as I still haven't received any notes or the all-clear that I'm finished, I have been left with unexpected time where I haven't wanted to get stuck into to another writing project for fear I'd quickly have to break off so instead, I've been making the most of it by reading all the the books that have been gathering dust on my bookshelf. I think I have said this before but having unread books in my possession makes me feel immensely uncomfortable. I am one of those people who gets pleasure from putting a newly read book onto a shelf ... yes, I lead a very sheltered life.

Since my last post I have read four books, although I will only be discussing three of them because I don't want to say anything negative about another writer. What made it disappointing was the fact that the book in question was a new release from an author whom I usually love - so let's pretend that didn't happen and move onto the books I actually want to talk about...


The Making of Gone with the Wind by Steve Wilson

Straight after reading the actual Gone with the Wind, as I wasn't ready to leave war-torn Georgia yet, I picked up this beauty which is an in-depth behind the scenes look into one of the greatest films of all time. Made up of letters, photos and trivia, the book is an utter delight and like opium for the Gone with the Wind addicted. It gives an insight into 'The Making of Gone with the Wind' before, during and after filming with photos and art that will take your breath away. A book that's just as beautiful with or without its lovely wrapper (may I present the photographic evidence for your inspection). A MUST read for fans and film-lovers alike.

It is available here (UK) and here (US).


Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert

From page 8, when Elizabeth writes the line ‘The universe buries strange jewels deep within us all, and then stands back to see if we can find them', I was hooked. A small but mighty book that will truly make you believe there is magic out there and inspiration is this living, breathing thing. What struck me the most was how much it resonated with me. I sometimes find myself detached from these creative ‘self-help’ books but I found myself agreeing with so much of what she said. She tells personal stories of people she has met in her life which highlight the 'big magic' she believes so strongly in. Her writing style is quirky and humorous and I can't wait to read more of her books in the future.

It is available here (UK) and here (US).


Writers' & Artists Guide to How to Write by Harry Bingham

A book I decided to buy on Amazon recently for the simple reason that I felt I shouldI thought it would be a good idea to have more of a technical book on writing in my possession. This book is a guide for authors on the ins and outs of writing, especially with the intention of writing for publication. I have a confession to make: as a rule, I really don't like these kind of books. It's not because I believe they are beneath me, certainly not, and they are currently so far above me that I am somewhere close to the earth's core. It's more that I think these books take away from the fact that writing is first and foremost a creative pursuit and to have all these rules, stems the flow of inspiration. I think it's what stopped me from admitting to myself that I wanted to be a writer for so long - the feeling that it was only meant for a select few and not open to anyone who simply had an imagination and a burning desire to write. This one though is pretty good, although I’m not going to lie to you all and say my back was not putteth uppetth when, in the introduction, he wrote this corker of a line:

'[of his own fiction] it stands at the fancier end of commercial: the sort of thing that intelligent people could read on the beach without having to hide the cover in embarrassment.'

I know I said I wouldn't say anything negative about a writer, but if you are going to write a line like that then you've only got yourself to blame, dear Harry.

Anyway, enough of that, this book is a solid place to start if you are looking for a general 'how-to' writing manual. It is well laid out and at the end of each chapter, there is a summary of what has been discussed over the previous pages (which I might have been guilty of skipping to at certain chapters). At the start of each chapter are quotes from well-respected (and some, dare I say it, pretentious) authors offering valuable insight into various aspects of writing. I know I should really utter 'the craft'  at some point in this post but to do that would give me a stomach ache. To be frank, most of the book is common sense with one 'helpful' tip not to write boring prose ... hmm. Ok, I've realised this sounds like a pretty negative review. I don't mean it to, but it's very hard for me not to say something and pretend, through a fear of being shunned from a world I desperately want to remain a part of. After saying all that, I still enjoyed reading it and Harry has put a lot of thought into it. There, something positive.

It is available here (UK) and here (US).


So there you have it. My editor has just told me she will be sending all her notes/edits she has within the next couple of days so until then, you shall finding me reading, naturally.

Until next time,
Cara x

No comments:

Post a Comment