Friday 5 February 2021

Welcome to hell: the submission process. Part two, still feeling like an impostor

Cruffins in all their doughy glory
Part one (here).

So I thought I'd do a quick blog post with a little old update before I down tools for the weekend. 

On Thursday, there was a lot more impostor syndrome as I began to whittle down the forty literary agents I'd long listed on Wednesday. Today, I finished going through that list and now I currently have sixteen agents that I really like. 

It's interesting, looking at the long list this time, some were an instant no. In part, I am going a lot on my gut instinct and the vibe I get about someone. Even from the way they write, I'm just getting this instantaneous response. Of course, I am also reading closely which authors they already represent, and what they are looking for, but I think sometimes a yes or no answer comes to you, and most of the time, you've got to trust it. 

On Monday, I will start to do thorough research on each agent to make sure we would be the right fit. I just don't want to waste their time if we'd be wrong for each other as I know they all probably receive one million emails a day from writers seeking representation. What's great is that all the agents I like so far appear to have Twitter accounts, so that's a pretty excellent start. 

Before I go, I thought I'd share that something called cruffins exist. Essentially a croissant/muffin hybrid, they are truly a modern day wonder that helped me deal with my impostor syndrome rather nicely today. 

Until next time

Cara x



1 comment:

  1. This sounds really interesting. I look forward to hearing more in part 2. Sounds like an interesting project and I love who you are interviewing the agents, who will in turn turn their critical over your work! Good luck and enjoy the Cruffins.

    ReplyDelete