Saturday 28 March 2015

In 'short', I wrote four short stories in five (and a bit) days

So far, I've had a rather productive writing week and not only that, I'm very happy with the words I've actually written.

In a nutshell, ever since I finished working on WEIGHTING TO LIVE (a subtle hint that you can get it HERE), I had a strong desire to write a few short stories from the perspective of certain characters from said book. Well, the thoughts banging about my mind became a reality and this week I wrote four of them in just over five days.

Here are the details:


Monday 23rd March:

Short story 1 - finished at 3,484 words
Short story 2 - started but incomplete at 1,415 words

TOTAL words written for the day - 4,899


Tuesday 24th March:

Short story 2 (continued from yesterday) - finished. Wrote 3,626 words (full story 5,041 words)

TOTAL words written for the day - 3,626


Wednesday 25th March:

Short story 3 - started but incomplete at 1,272 words

TOTAL words written for the day - 1,272
*Not the best of writing days but I had the mother of all sugar crashes and was really distracted PLUS I had an epic 2 hour phone call with a friend.


Thursday 26th March:

Short story 3 (continued from yesterday) - finished. Wrote 1,308 words (full story 2,580 words)
Short story 4 - started but incomplete at 974 words

TOTAL words written for the day - 2,282
*I know 2,282 is an ok number of words in a day but I could have done SO MUCH BETTER and was distracted by absolutely everything and procrastinated in as many ways as it is humanly possible to procrastinate.


Friday 27th March:

Short story 4 (continued from yesterday) - (pretty much) finished. Wrote 2,828 words (full story 3,802 words)

TOTAL words written for the day - 2,828
*Literally until the evening, I had written only about 1,000 words but suddenly, I had inspiration and started writing like a maniac. Within the space of about an hour and a half I had another 1,800. There is nothing like the joy of a sudden idea. Hallelujah!


Saturday 28th March:

I went over short story 4 to tweak it as it was getting too late to do it the night before. I didn't really write anything else but the finished word count for short story 4 is 3,837.

***

For all the short stories, even as I was writing them, I had absolutely no idea what was going to happen next but I wrote them anyway and words somehow appeared on the page. All I knew in advance was who I wanted the story to be about plus a few potential ideas for the plot (bar nothing but the character for short story 4).

I am still undecided what to do with these four short stories. I think once I edit them, more than likely I will sell them singly and pop them on up on Amazon because I am rather proud of them.

Also, on Monday I will be working on something new - I won't say what yet but I do hope it works out as I think it might ... I am going to be aiming for at least 5,000 words a day so hopefully I'll have a first draft by early-mid April.

So writing plan for the foreseeable future looks like this:

  1. Write draft of new book starting from Monday
  2. Edit the 4 short stories written this week
  3. Edit draft of new book
  4. Have a cry because I've broken my hands

Until next time (when I shall probably be a wreck).

No comments:

Post a Comment