Thursday 2 April 2015

The making of a 'novelette'; my new favourite word

If you have been following my blog for a little while, you might remember in my last post (here) I mentioned that on Monday (30th March) I was going to start writing something new. When I first thought about the story I intended to write, I envisioned a full length novel but as I gave the idea more thought, I realised it should really only be a novelette. Any more than that and it would be, to be perfectly honest, bloody boring. I wanted to keep it snappy, and so the idea to write a novelette was born. (I also need to mention how much I love the word novelette - it's frilly and absolutely ridiculous and I AM SO GLAD I WROTE ONE!)

To clarify, a 'novelette' is a story between 7,500 and 17,500 words. Sandwiched between it's little sister, the short story and it's older brother, the novella, this middle sibling fulfills my every desire ... on this occasion.

Here is how I got on writing my NOVELETTE:

Day 1 - Monday 30th March 2015
Word count - 3,323
*I wrote I think, about 1,700 words or so but didn't like a pretty crucial detail about the plot so I had to go back and sort that out before I could continue but I was still happy with the amount of words I was able to get down.

Day 2 - Tuesday 31st March 2015
Word count - 3,549
*In the morning, I had such high hopes for the day - I thought, 'I shall write at least six THOUSAND words today' ... but then a handsome dark-haired man called Ross Poldark came into my life and I caught up with three and a half episodes I had missed AND I DON'T REGRET A THING! I suppose 3,549 words still ain't a bad number though.

Day 3 - Wednesday 1st April 2015
Word count - 7,060
*Yeah, it was an ok day ... of DREAMS! I actually got to the end of the story leaving only a couple of small gaps I needed to return to the following day.

Day 4 (TODAY!) - Thursday 2nd April 2015
Word count - 439
*As I mentioned above, I'd already finished yesterday so I spent the morning and afternoon reading through what I had already written, tinkering, deleting and adding bits and come 4pm, I was left with a COMPLETE FIRST DRAFT!

TOTAL WORD COUNT FOR THE FIRST DRAFT OF THE NOVELETTE - 14,371 


And there you have it! First draft all done and I am SO happy with how it turned out. I'm not writing any more now until Monday when I will be starting the hilarious job of editing the short stories I talked all about in my last post (here).

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment