Saturday 4 April 2015

The Art of Never Giving Up

*Brace yourself for an honest and rather random post*

I have now had my book WEIGHTING TO LIVE (here) up on Amazon KDP for just over a month and my feelings throughout this time have swung mostly between fear & determination. Yes, those two extremes have been raging a full-on battle in my brain but so far, I'm pleased to report, determination has won over the fear. I think these feelings have stemmed from the fact that even though about 150 people (mostly free sales but still, yay!) have downloaded it, I haven't really had any feedback. Apart from a (wonderful) woman on twitter and, of course, my mother, I have no idea what the people who have it at this moment in time on their kindles and apps think of it ... and it really brings out the doubts and gremlins in your mind. Am I a terrible writer? Should I just do something else? In the past if something wasn't working out, I would just give up without really sticking at it and going through the hard times and would move on to something new but this time, I can't. All I think to myself is that I will keep on writing regardless.

Every day, I check my ratings on Goodreads and Amazon in fear I'm going see my first review and it will be a one star corker with text along the lines of This is the worst book I have ever read in my life. But everyday, I ignore that fear, check it, then keep writing anyway.

In the title of this post I called never giving up an art form, because I think it is. It requires willpower and passion. The temptation to succumb to fear is easy and to live a safe, sheltered life instead ... but sometimes, you've got to come out of the shade and feel the sun (I do acknowledge how corny that entire passage was).

I do acknowledge this was a rather pointless, silly ramble but I suppose it's me saying, let's all of us do what we love even if it scares the living daylights out of us.

Until next time.

2 comments:

  1. Love this! So inspiring and exactly what I wanted to read. T x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely comment Tamara! Love your blog. Happy Easter :D xxx

      Delete